Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The 4 Essentials of Any Good Cook

Tonight I was thinking about what makes the taste of your food really pop.  There are many, many factors and you will learn these over time.  Heck I’m still learning and I’ve been cooking for three quarters of my life!  But starting with good basics is key.  Here are the four essentials, in my humble opinion:


The 4 Essentials of Any Good Cook

1.  Onions


White, red, yellow, Vidalia, Texas sweet and many more types are all great to start with.  I love all onions and can’t pick a favorite.  Keeping them stored in a cool, dry place is a must.  A paper bag with small holes is a great storage method for maximum shelf life.  I also want to throw in that shallots are a fabulous when you want a milder flavor, you store them the same way and they have been really affordable lately.  I have been able to get 4-5 shallots for under a dollar the past several months.  Stock up while you can!


2.  Garlic


There is NOTHING in the world that can beat the smell of freshly sautéing  garlic.  It’s utterly divine!  Yes I have used jarred minced garlic and also dehydrated garlic in a pinch but fresh is THE way to go! Tip: I think the elephant garlic is awful…not much taste to it at all.  It’s nice to look at but it doesn’t offer much in the way of substance.  I’d much rather have a small bulb packed with flavor.


3.  REAL Butter (never margarine!)


Real butter, whether salted or unsalted is a MUST.  I refuse to slather any chemical-laden yellow sludge on my food.  You aren’t doing yourself any good by saving calories if you are dumping toxic chemicals into your body.  P.S. I Feel the same about all dairy products…give me full fat and real vs. lite crap any day!

Real.Butter.That.Is.All.


4.  Good quality olive oil


Last  but not least, a good quality olive oil or extra virgin olive oil.  I prefer organic, cold-pressed and no chemicals used in the process.  Same goes for coconut oil as well.  Look for anything organic, raw or cold-pressed.  You can’t go wrong with any of these!



Going even a step further you get into seasonings and that includes fresh herbs.  Fresh is always better so get them if they are available and if you can afford them.  Growing your own is a lot of fun!
If you can’t get fresh then dried seasonings are the next best step.  Maybe that can be in my next random post.   :)

~The Paper Plate Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment