Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Stuffed Peppers with Baguette Crisps

Originally published on
What to make on a semi-busy, rainy Friday night?   Something that works well between shuffling kids to & from a school dance.  Stuffed peppers sounds good!  Also I had bought some hummus earlier and wanted something yummy to dip into it…pita chips were getting boring.  I know – that discounted baguette I bought would be perfect! Okay, so a plan is in order.  Let’s get to work!


Stuffed Peppers with Baguette Crisps
Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
  • 5 large peppers (any color you prefer- I had 4 green & 1 red)
  • 1/2 c. minute rice, uncooked
  • 1 very small onion, diced
  • 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp.  dried Italian seasoning (oregano + basil)
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • tiny bit of water
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 350.  Brown ground beef in a skillet on stove top.  When almost fully browned, add onions, rice, seasonings, coconut oil and some water.  Let simmer about 10-15 minutes until rice is cooked.

Cut off tops of peppers and clean out seeds; rinse and pat dry.  Stuff peppers with beef mixture.  Arrange peppers in a glass baking dish.  Pour tomato sauce over peppers.  Bake for 25-30 minutes for crispier peppers; 45 minutes for soft peppers.

The beef is so lean that you don’t have to drain anything.  The coconut oil adds a nice flavor to the meat and helps the rice puff up.  Try it, you’ll love it!



Baguette Crisps
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 French baguette loaf of bread
  • olive oil
  • garlic salt
Slice bread into 1/3 inch slices.  Arrange on baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little garlic salt.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (I baked them along with the peppers).






The smells throughout the house were amazing~ I took a pic of the food when it started baking but decided not to post it since my oven isn’t sparkly and shiny.  But my BFF said never to trust a cook with a clean oven! LoL  (P.S. My daddy says never trust a skinny cook!)


These baguette crisps were delicious dipped in hummus!  No I didn’t make my own hummus.  Maybe some day I can try that recipe on here.  **Noted in mental Rolodex


No comments:

Post a Comment