Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

My kids adore my spaghetti sauce.   It does my heart proud when they request my sauce over any store brand.  The fresher the tomatoes, the better it tastes!  But you can also do canned tomatoes in a pinch.



My Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
Ingredients:
  • 6-8  large tomatoes, crushed or diced (or one  28oz. can crushed tomatoes)
  • 3-4  cloves garlic, crushed
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 small onion, diced finely
  • 2 Tbsp. dried Italian seasoning (you can also substitute fresh oregano & basil; the flavors will be much more intense)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • dash of thyme
  • dash or 2 of garlic powder

Put olive oil into medium sauce pan on medium heat.  Brown onion, then add garlic.  Saute another minute or so, then add tomatoes and spices.  Simmer on low for about 45 minutes (the longer it cooks the better it tastes).  Adjust salt & pepper to taste before serving.
Pour sauce over pasta of your choice.  You can always add browned ground beef to your sauce.  It makes wonderful lasagna as well.  Parmesan on top is yummy.  Get crazy and experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment