Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Apple Dumplings

Originally published on October 19, 2014




This week has been full of lovely, cool Autumn weather and I have been thinking a lot about apple recipes.  What could be more Autumny than apple dumplings?


I watched about 5 different videos on how to make apple dumplings and decided to wing it myself.  I didn’t really measure anything so bear with me as I try to put this into actual text!

**I kinda forgot to photograph the making of the dumplings.  I forget often, sometimes conveniently (lol).  One thing I have to admit…it’s seriously difficult to photograph the actual cooking/assembly process.  I have several excuses ready so here we go…1- I am not the most patient gal on the planet, 2- I don’t want to eff up my camera with yucky hands and 3- I can’t afford a personal photographer SOOOOO…this is how I’m gonna roll for now. Okay? Okay! Now let’s make some dumplings, people!



Apple Dumplings



Ingredients:
  • 4 medium Michigan apples (peeled, halved and cored)
  • 2 ready-made refrigerated pie crusts
  • brown sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 sticks butter (no margarine!)
  • cinnamon
  • sugar

Peel your apples, slice in half and core out the seeds.  Then take one of your pie crusts and roll it out flat; cut in half.  Take one half of raw pie crust and place an apple half core side up in the middle of the crust.  Take a huge pinch of brown sugar (probably about 2 Tbsp.) and put in the middle of the apple.  Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon over the top of the brown sugar and on some of the pie crust.  Take a pat of butter and cut it into fourths; place the four pieces around the apple, on top of the crust.  Take one corner of the pie crust and fold over the top of the apple.  Do the same with the other side.  Then fold the flat and curvy parts of the crust over the top, kind of like wrapping a present.  The top will look bunchy but that’s how it should look!  Cup both of your hands around the apple and mold the crust onto the apple.  Place in baking dish and repeat with the next 3 apple halves.

Apple Dumpling Sauce:
Take one stick of butter and put into glass measuring cup. Microwave for about 45 seconds.  When butter is melted, add 1-2 Tbsp. white sugar to the butter. Stir until sugar dissolves.  Pour butter mixture over the 4 dumplings.  Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes.   Dumplings will be really crusty on top and just slightly gooey on the bottom. 

This is what they should look like after baking:








Here is one plated up:


Before serving, spoon some of that buttery sauce over the top again!







Look at that yummy inside!



I hope you try these soon!  They are so decadent and rich.  I’m really glad I tried the recipe with a half apple…I don’t think I could finish a whole apple!



____________________________________




P.S.  This is one of my favorite places to photograph.  It’s always gorgeous but especially so in the Fall.  Maybe it will help make up for my lack of food pics.






No comments:

Post a Comment