Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Egg Masala

Originally published on

 Okay so after the friggin egg/microwave fiasco,  here’s the recipe I was getting at.  This is just like Chicken Tikka Masala except you use hard boiled eggs instead of chicken. Plus you don’t have to do the whole tikka thing to the eggs…just cook them.  Not in a microwave.  I am not joking, you WILL regret it.

  This is a wonderful dish when you’re really craving some good Indian comfort food but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen.

**Also note- I make this recipe minus the cashews since we have nut allergies in the household.



Ingredients:
  • 12 eggs, hard boiled and peeled

Masala recipe:  (serves 4)
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp.  ground garam masala
  • 1 Tbsp. ginger-garlic paste   (I crush my own with a knife; you can also purchase this in tubes at the store)
  • 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cardamom powder
  • 2 Tbsp. cumin powder (I like a lot but you can use less)
  • 1  +  1/2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. turmeric
  • 1 tsp.   FenuGreek leaves
  • 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt
  • juice of half a lime
  • 2  medium tomatoes, pureed (or 2 small cans tomato sauce or puree)
  • little bit of water
  • 1/4 c. cream (optional- I generally don’t use it)
  • chopped cilantro for garnish

Put oil in large skillet and turn stove to medium heat; add onions.  When the onions begin to look translucent, add garam masala.  Stir and cook for a few more minutes.  Then add ginger-garlic paste and cook a few more mins.  Add coriander, cardamom, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, fenugreek and salt.  Stir  together, then squeeze lime juice over mixture and add a little water so ingredients won’t burn.  Stir and cook for about 5 mins. When onions look almost fully cooked and mixture starts to resemble a chunky paste, add tomato puree and a little more water if you think it needs it.  Stir well, cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5-8 minutes more.

When masala sauce is done you may add a little cream but I usually don’t…the sauce is beautiful, fragrant and tasty on its own.

For each serving, use 3 hard-boiled eggs.  Leave 2 whole and slice the third egg (I used 3 whole eggs and one slice for this photo).  Spoon sauce over each serving of eggs.  Garnish with chopped cilantro.  Enjoy!

This is sooooo spicy & yummy, I couldn’t wait to eat it so I took my pics really fast!  I make this sauce so often that I don’t really have to measure anymore.



No comments:

Post a Comment